May 08, 2014

Where I've been

So, I've been the worst blogger ever, I know.  I'm sorry.  Sometimes you just have so many things on your plate that something has to give, and this month it was this blog.  But I can explain myself!

Last Friday, I submitted my graded, printed, and bound M.A. thesis (!!)  


The finished product!!  I'm considering blowing this photo up and framing it.  I've never been so happy to hold a finished piece of work in my hands.  But before this happy moment, there was a lot of this:


 Reminding myself that Spring is happening outside by keeping tulips amongst all that paper.  (Not pictured: me in pajamas and a lumberjack vest, pens stuck in my hair, swearing under my breath.)



Lots of Starbucks work excursions, because working at home alone on the same paper for days on end isn't the healthiest thing in the world.  (Not pictured:  a huge stack of books on Nazism and a guy giving me and those books some pretty nervous side eye.)

But then I was handsomely rewarded!

 My reward was a ten-day trip to California.  My boyfriend had to go out to Los Angeles for a wedding, so we decided to make a big holiday out of it!  We rented a car and drove all around the state.  If you're looking for a fun California holiday and you're able to spend time in the car with your partner without killing him or her, then DO THIS!  This photo is one of about 100 that I took along Route 1, on the drive from Santa Barbara to San Francisco. 

One thing:  if you have vertigo, do not do this.  You are on a very narrow road essentially on the side of a cliff for HOURS.  But if you can deal with those heights, this is one of the most amazing sights I've ever seen.

 Extra bonus: elephant seals!  So many elephant seals!  There were hundreds of these guys just chilling out on the beach.  I could keep one of these as an apartment pet, right?

 We did so many fabulous things on this trip, but I think my favourite day of the trip was at the V. Sattui winery in Napa.  I had this whole big day of exploring San Francisco planned, so when the friend we were staying with suggested we go to Napa instead I was a little hesitant.  Man, am I glad I shut up and went with the flow, because this place was heaven.  New if-I-win-the-lottery plan: start a vineyard in a place like this and never leave.

Alright, that's enough from me for now.  Now that I've explained myself, we can get things back to normal.  Be on the lookout for one of my favourite NYC fables over the weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment