January 29, 2014

Winter survival kit

Alright, I give in.  It's really cold. 

I've been avoiding it for weeks now - taking cabs where I can, cranking up the heat, and most days not leaving the house at all.  It didn't help that Sunday was Australia Day, either, so my Instagram feed was flooded with happy faces barbecuing on the beach back home.  But I give in!  It's clear that this is happening to us, and the best we can do is bed down inside and stay warm as possible.  In that spirit, here are a few treats to make your hibernation a little more pleasant.



1. Some new jammies from J Crew. Because when you're not leaving the house between Friday afternoon and Monday morning anyway, who needs to get dressed?
2. A whole bunch of tasty-smelling candles.  I keep several lit pretty much all the time when I'm at home, and it makes me feel almost as cozy as if I had a fireplace.
3. A good book.  I'm reading this at the moment, and it's wonderful!  Transport yourself from your frigid present and into a hot and colourful summer with Bryson's engaging and funny history of the summer of 1927.
4. A special mug.  Treating yourself to a nice new mug will make all those hot teas and coffees you're sipping on seem a little more decadent.
5. A little inspiration.  This print is from the Everygirl's new product line and will give you the boost you need to achieve something when you just want to hide in bed until Spring.
6. Give yourself a manicure.  You'll have lots of time to perfect your nails while you're hiding from the freezing wind, and you'll feel like less of a lump for staying in your PJs all weekend.  I love "the lace is on" for the perfect balance of warm and glam.
7. Go out right now and buy yourself a humidifier.  If your apartment is anything like mine - set to the devil's thermostat - your skin and sinuses will thank you forever.  I love this one because its clean lines make it an inoffensive addition to your decor, and it comes in a whole range of colours.  I have one in a solid blue, and it fits right in.

What's your favourite way of coping with the cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment