November 15, 2013

Read this: Tony Judt on NYC & "world cities"

Today I'm just going to leave you with a little Tony Judt, because he can express how I'm feeling a lot better than I can.  If you aren't familiar, he was a wonderful historian and essayist.  He was born in London, moved to New York in 1982 to teach at NYU.  He was diagnosed with ALS, or Lou Gherig's disease, in 2008 and died in August of 2010, at only 62 years old.

If you want to learn about postwar Europe - and come to understand your world much better for it - read his Postwar.  In fact, if you only ever read one history book, make it Tony Judt's Postwar.

This essay is taken from his autobiographical work The Memory Chalet, and was printed in the New York Times on November 8th, 2010.  Read it here.



"Chance made me an American, but I chose to be a New Yorker. I probably always was."
- Tony Judt (1948 - 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment