August 14, 2013

Your own leading lady

One of my favourite movies is the Holiday.  Nancy Meyers' movies in general do it for me -- something about the beautiful sets and the relatable characters and the perfect soundtracks is just like taking a big fat valium.

The Holiday movie poster
Bonuses:  Kate Winslett is the best, and I don't think Jude Law has ever been hotter than in this film.

I re-watched it last week.  It was in the middle of a kind of hectic week, and I was looking for the comfort of familiar dialogue and perfect sets, but also for a little motivational push.

My favourite relationship in the movie is between Kate Winslett's character, Iris, and her neighbour, an elderly former Hollywood screenwriter named Arthur Abbott.  As Iris struggles to work out what she's doing with her life, Arthur gives her a little real talk over dinner:

Arthur Abbott: I'm wondering why a beautiful girl like you would go to a strangers' house for their Christmas Vacation, and on top of that spend Saturday night with an old cock-up like me.
Iris: Well, I just wanted to get away from all the people I see all the time!... Well, not all the people... one person. I wanted to get away from one... guy.
[she sobs]
Iris: An ex-boyfriend who just got engaged and forgot to tell me.
Arthur Abbott: So, he's a schmuck.
Iris: As a matter of fact, he is... a huge schmuck. How did you know?
Arthur Abbott: He let you go. This is not a hard one to figure out. Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you're behaving like the best friend!
Iris: You're so right. You're supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for god's sake! Arthur, I've been going to a therapist for three years, and she's never explained anything to me that well. That was brilliant. Brutal, but brilliant.

That one line:
You're supposed to be the leading lady of your own life!

It should be so obvious, but every time I watch it I'm still a little blown away.  Being a leading lady of anything - even your own life - isn't always easy.  There are plenty of times when I feel like my life is living me, rather than the other way round.  Arthur's challenge for all of us in those times when life seems out of control is to straighten up, muster your gumption, and write the next page in your story. (Of course, you can do this after you've spent a little time crying into your ice cream.  Even leading ladies do that.)  It's always exactly what I need to hear!

What do you do to be your own leading lady in those times when you feel like an extra?


No comments:

Post a Comment